Sunday, April 6, 2008

Intermittent Dispatch #1

Have you been looking for a way to connect with other library subs?

Do you want to strut (or build) your Library 2.0 skills?

Are you looking for a way to showcase your particular skills and knowledge for others?

Do you want to collaborate with others to tackle library projects you might not do on your own?

Me too.

I've been looking for ways to get together with other library subs and share ideas about our place in the library world and how to advance our careers, to build community, share ideas, and just have fun.

Yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks that the creation of a library wiki would be a fantastic opportunity to do all these things: develop and display our 2.0 skills, collaborate on projects, and connect with each other.

My first step is to set up this blog and e-mail the address to all the subs I know. Part-time workers might also be interested.

Next, I'd like to set up a wiki to share and develop our knowledge. The beauty of a wiki is that it is peer edited. We can avoid perfectionism and jump right in. Unlike a web site, which has a central control, everyone can contribute to a wiki.

For instance, I recently ran across a list of a dozen sites similar to del.icio.us and digg, but only knew three or four of them. It's tough to keep up! We can collaborate on this!

Please add your comments and ideas below, or e-mail me at a_pearson@visi.com.

I'll post again when I've set up the wiki -- or when I need help setting up the wiki! Please post or contact me if you have experience doing this! Thanks!

No comments: